What you need:
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup barley
- 5 cups water or mushroom stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
What you do:
- Remove the porcini from the soaking liquid, reserving the water. Thinly slice the porcini and return to the soaking liquid. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and carrot and cook until soft and lightly caramelized, about 7 minutes. Add the barley and water, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the reserved mushrooms and soaking liquid plus half the dill. Cook until the barley is tender, about 10 minutes longer. Serve hot, garnished with the remaining dill.