What you need:
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup barley
- 5 cups water or mushroom stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
What you do:
- Remove the porcini from the soaking liquid, reserving the water. Thinly slice the porcini and return to the soaking liquid. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and carrot and cook until soft and lightly caramelized, about 7 minutes. Add the barley and water, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the reserved mushrooms and soaking liquid plus half the dill. Cook until the barley is tender, about 10 minutes longer. Serve hot, garnished with the remaining dill.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!