Makes 2-1/2 cups
What you need:
- 1 cup shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3/4 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 5 tablespoons water
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss shallots with olive oil and salt. Bake for 40 minutes or longer, tossing occasionally, until golden brown.
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, hemp seeds, 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and water (starting with 3 tablespoons). Purée until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Once shallots are roasted, add to mixture and purée. Add extra water to thin, if needed, and add remaining 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice to taste if desired.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!