What you need:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, scallions, ginger, sugar, turmeric, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, mustard and cloves, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and stir to heat through and mix evenly. Gently add the coconut. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes before serving.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!