What you need:
- 1 pound tempeh, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
What you do:
- Poach the tempeh in a pot of simmering water for 15 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the tempeh and onion and cook until both are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Reduce the heat to low. Blend in the coconut milk and lime juice. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until hot.