What you need:
- 1 to 1-1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red onion, finely chopped
- 1-1⁄2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3-1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas (reserve 1 cup)
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups zucchini or fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 ⁄4 to 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (optional)
What you do:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a soup pot. Add onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and dried spices. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add 2-1⁄2 cups of chickpeas (reserving 1 cup), lentils, zucchini or tomatoes, stock, water, bay leaves and stir through. Increase heat to bring mixture to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until lentils are softened and dissolved.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in 1⁄4 cup of lemon juice. Using a hand blender, purée the soup, keeping a chunky consistency. Stir in remaining 1 cup of chickpeas. Season if desired with additional sea salt, pepper, extra lemon juice, optional freshly chopped thyme, and serve.
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!