What you need:
- 1 to 1-1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red onion, finely chopped
- 1-1⁄2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3-1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas (reserve 1 cup)
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups zucchini or fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 ⁄4 to 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (optional)
What you do:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a soup pot. Add onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and dried spices. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add 2-1⁄2 cups of chickpeas (reserving 1 cup), lentils, zucchini or tomatoes, stock, water, bay leaves and stir through. Increase heat to bring mixture to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until lentils are softened and dissolved.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in 1⁄4 cup of lemon juice. Using a hand blender, purée the soup, keeping a chunky consistency. Stir in remaining 1 cup of chickpeas. Season if desired with additional sea salt, pepper, extra lemon juice, optional freshly chopped thyme, and serve.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!