What You Need for the Salad:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large or 4 small eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
What You Need for the Garnish:
- 1 large tomato (halved and thinly sliced)
- Lemon wedges & black olives
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggplant, cover, and cook until softened and lightly browned, turning as needed. Add salt to taste, along with the onion, garlic, lemon juice, sugar, paprika and pepper.
- Cook and mash the ingredients until the eggplant softens and liquid evaporates. Adjust seasoning. Allow to cool to room temperature then refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, spread the eggplant mixture onto a large platter. Sprinkle with the parsley. Garnish with the tomato slices, lemon wedges and olives.