Makes two 8-inch cake layers
What You Need for the Cake:
- 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark rum or rum extract
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
What You Need for the Vanilla Buttercream:
- 2/3 cup vegan margarine
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted and divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted and divided
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 8-inch cake pans. For the cake, in a large bowl, whisk together pastry flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Add pumpkin purée, water, oil, vinegar, and rum or rum extract, and whisk well to form a smooth batter. Fold in the cranberries, pecans or walnuts, and crystallized ginger.
- Evenly divide cake batter between prepared cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool for 15 minutes in pans. Transfer to a wire rack, let cool 10 minutes, remove from cake pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, in a large bowl, beat margarine with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. With beaters going, slowly add powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat an additional 30 seconds. For the filling, transfer one-third of the frosting to a small bowl, add 1/4 cup each toasted coconut and pecans, and stir well to combine.
- To assemble cake, place one cake layer on serving platter. Spread the filling evenly on first layer. Place remaining cake layer on top. Frost the sides and top of the layer cake with frosting, as desired, and then sprinkle the remaining toasted coconut and pecans over the top.