What you need:
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups salted water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Asian hot red pepper sauce (optional)
What you do:
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water or stock to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, add sesame oil and fluff with a fork. Cover for 5 minutes longer.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the garlic and carrots and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the mushrooms, spinach and soy sauce, and stir-fry until the vegetables are softened.
- To serve, place the rice in bowls and top with the vegetables. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds. Serve with hot red pepper sauce, if desired, for those who like it spicy.