Looking for a healthy dinner that doesn’t take hours to prepare? We love this simple winter salad that boasts the benefits of greens, fruit, and nuts, all in a lightly tangy dressing. Feel free to customize your creation with other nuts or dried fruit, or substitute romaine for the spinach for a lighter version.
What You Need for the Salad:
- 5 to 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1⁄2 cup fennel, thinly sliced (remove stalks and tough core, and trim outer layer)
- 1⁄4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted
What You Need for the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon mild Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Few pinches of cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 to1⁄3 cup walnut oil (or safflower or canola)
What you do:
- In a blender, combine all dressing ingredients except the oil. While continuing to blend, slowly drizzle in oil (start with 1⁄4 cup, then adjust to taste).
- In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients and toss with several tablespoons of the vinaigrette.