What you need:
- 1 pound white, waxy potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup almonds, blanched and sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, white pepper, and dried oregano
What you do:
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with cold water and bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, reserve 1/2 cup potato-cooking water, and drain. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, press through a potato ricer or use a potato masher until no lumps remain.
- In a food processor, pulse garlic and almonds until puréed, scraping sides of processor when needed. Drizzle in olive oil and pulse until smooth.
- Pour mixture into mashed potatoes and add lemon juice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of potato water and stir to combine (add more water for a thinner consistency). Season with salt and white pepper. Spread skordalia into a shallow serving dish, dribble with olive oil, and sprinkle with dried oregano.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!