Serves 4 to 6
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 12-ounce package vegan sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large white potatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 16-ounce package frozen succotash
- 2 to 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 12-ounce package frozen vegetarian burger crumbles
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegan sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Reheat the oil in the saucepan and add the onion, potato, garlic, and ginger. Add 1/4 cup of the stock or water, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid, add the remaining stock or water and stir in the tomatoes, succotash, tamari, mustard, sugar, allspice, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. During the last 10 minutes of cooking time, add the reserved vegan sausage, the vegetarian burger crumbles and Liquid Smoke.