What you need:
- 1/4 cup yellow split mung beans, washed and drained
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 hot green chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
What you do:
- Soak the mung beans in 2 cups of water for 2 hours or up to 8 hours. Drain the beans and place them in a large bowl. Add the carrots, apple, bell pepper, ginger and lemon juice. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cover the pan. The mustard seeds will start popping. When the popping stops, add the chile, and stir for 30 seconds to bring out the flavor, then add the chile and mustard seed mixture to the salad. Just before serving, add the cilantro and salt to taste, tossing gently to combine.