What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup finely minced celery
- 1 pound boiled chestnuts, peeled
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1-3/4 cups soy milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook covered until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove lid. Add all but 4 of the chestnuts and the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor along with 1 cup of the soy milk. Purée until smooth. Return the mixture to the saucepan over low heat and add the salt, cayenne, and nutmeg. Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup of soy milk and simmer for 10 minutes without boiling. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Coarsely chop the reserved 4 chestnuts and set aside. When the soup is hot, ladle it into bowls and garnish with the reserved chestnuts.