What you need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted and sliced black Gaeta olives (or other imported black olive)
- 1/4 cup pitted and sliced imported green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne (or pasta of choice)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
What you do:
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, black and green olives, capers, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Add the sauce and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!