Makes 4 to 6 servings
What you need:
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-1/2 or 9-inch pie plate. Arrange the pitted cherries in a single layer on the bottom. Sprinkle evenly with the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining sugar, flour, shortening, and almonds. Using your fingertips, pinch and toss until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle the sugar-nut topping evenly over the cherries, leaving a 1/2-inch border of fruit exposed. Gently pat the topping into the fruit. Cover the gratin tightly with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and reduce the heat to 375 degrees. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling. Serve warm or at room temperature.