A crowd-pleasing treat for holidays or a casual Sunday brunch, this delicious strudel satisfies with sweet fruit flavors.
Makes 2 loaves
What you need:
8 ounces non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance preferred)
1/2 cup vegan sour cream (Tofutti, non-hydrogenated preferred)
2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese (Tofutti, non-hydrogenated preferred)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons organic, all-purpose unbleached flour
1 cup + 2 tablespoons organic, whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unrefined organic cane sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup strawberry jam, divided
1/2 cup orange marmalade, divided
1/2 cup ground walnuts, toasted and divided
1/2 cup currants, divided
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped and divided
2 Granny Smith or pink lady apples, large diced
What you do:
- In a large bowl, combine margarine and sour cream. Add cream cheese, flours, salt, vanilla, and baking powder. Whisk until the mixture makes a smooth dough, about 3 minutes, but don’t over mix.
- Divide the dough into halves and roll into two equal rounds. Refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and set aside. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Flour your work surface and roll each half of dough into a large round. Spread one round with 1/4 cup each of the jam and marmalade. Sprinkle round with a small additional amount of flour and the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Top the round with 1/4 cup each of nuts, currants, and dried apricots and half of the apples. Roll the circle into a long cylinder and then slice about 6 small slits in the top of the cylinde
- Repeat for the second round. Place the 2 strudel cylinders on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. The filling will drip out of the strudel, but that is the fun part!
© Spork Foods, 2010