What You Need:
- 3-1/2-inch chunk nagaimo or white potato, peeled
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water cup flour
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound Napa cabbage, shredded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup tempura flakes
- Cooking spray
- Desired toppings
- 1/2 cup homemade okonomiyaki sauce (see recipe)
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise, whisked smooth
- 1/4 cup aonori
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 nori sheet,toasted,cut into thin strips
What You Do:
- Into a large mixing bowl, grate nagaimo using a fine-toothed grater. Add soy sauce, water, and flour, and without over-mixing, blend to form a viscous batter. Add pickled ginger, cabbage, and scallions, and mix to coat with batter. Set aside for 30 minutes while preparing okonomiyaki sauce and toppings. Right before cooking, fold in tempura flakes.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat, and coat generously with cooking spray. Scoop 1 rounded cup of batter into pan and spread out until pancake is about 1-inch thick. Press desired toppings onto surface of pancake.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until underside is golden. Carefully flip and cook another 5 minutes, then flip again and brush with okonomiyaki sauce. Gently move to serving dish, sauce side facing up. Drizzle sparingly with mayonnaise, sprinkle with aonori, sesame seeds, and nori strips. Serve immediately.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!