Savory, scrumptious, and so unexpected, this tart really has it all. Combining the most prominent flavors of the holiday season—savory thyme, crisp cranberries, homey spinach, and hearty chickpeas—this dish is guaranteed to satisfy. With the added benefit of not having to explain your taste for Tofurky to family members who love to ask, “Why d’ya eat stuff that looks like meat, but not real meat?” this stunning tart makes a memorable centerpiece.
What You Need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, 1/4 cup reserved
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1-1/4 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 3-1/2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 9-inch prepared whole-wheat pie shell, thawed
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, for brushing
- 1 teaspoon tamari, for brushing
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for 7 to 9 minutes until onions soften and begin to caramelize. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas (except 1/4 reserved cup), walnuts, lemon juice, and tamari, and pulse to lightly chop (do not purée). Remove half of chopped mixture from food processor and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a food processor, transfer sautéed onions to remaining mixture. Purée until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Transfer purée to bowl with lightly chopped chickpea and walnut mixture. Add spinach, cranberries, parsley, thyme, and reserved chickpeas. Stir to combine and transfer to prepared pie shell, spreading evenly.
- Combine oil and tamari, and brush on top of pie and crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 33 to 38 minutes until lightly browned. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Photo by Hannah Kaminsky
Love the plant-based lifestyle as much as we do?
Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!