These holiday-inspired whoopie pies are fun, festive, and delicious. Topped with a sweet chocolate drizzle, they will disappear quickly, just as they did at the VNHQ.
Makes 10 pies
What you need:
For the Soy Nog Whoopie Pies:
- 1 cup soy nog
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons vegan yogurt
For the Cinnamon-Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup vegan shortening
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
For the Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1/4 cup soymilk
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
What you do:
- For the whoopie pies, in a small bowl, whisk together soy nog and vinegar until nog curdles. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together margarine and sugar until smooth. Add vanilla to curdled soynog and stir. Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir. Add vegan yogurt and mix until smooth.
- Onto baking sheets, place two-inch scoopfuls of dough, with ample space in between each scoop. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks before filling.
- For the filling, in a large bowl, beat powdered sugar, margarine, shortening, and cream cheese together until fluffy. Add cinnamon and cocoa powder. Using a large spoon or a pastry bag, drop a generous amount of frosting onto one cookie and press another cookie gently on top. Repeat with all cookies.
- For the chocolate drizzle, in a saucepan over medium heat, heat soymilk until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, add agave and chocolate chips and whisk until smooth and shiny. Using a pastry bag or spoon, drizzle on top of assembled cookies.
Check out all of our 2011 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest Winners!
First Place: Chocolate Sugar Cookies Iced with Crushed Candy Cane Topping by Celeste Hill
Second Place: Vegan Rugelach by Lisa Peterson
Third Place: Cinnamon & Chocolate Linzer Cookies by Jess Nadel
Honorable Mention: Soynog Whoopie Pies with Cinnamon-Chocolate Cream Cheese Topped with Chocolate Drizzle by Diana Chow