Makes 16 servings
What You Need:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy-free vegan margarine
2 tablespoons water
2 cups vegan chocolate chips, divided
1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
1-1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 medium-sized candy canes
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar, margarine, and water. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and peppermint extract. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. To chocolate mixture, add applesauce and baking powder, then slowly mix dry ingredients into wet. Add remaining 1 cup chocolate chips.
5. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely on cooling rack, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. While brownies are cooling, in a blender or food processor, completely crush candy canes until they form a powder. Before cutting brownies, sprinkle powdered candy canes over top using a sieve or sifter.
Chef’s Tip: If you don’t need them to be gluten-free, you can use regular all-purpose flour and omit the xanthan gum.
Photo: Kim Lutz
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!