A dash of coffee and fresh raspberries add extra-special flavor and flair to this decadent, romantic cake.
Makes one 9-inch round two-layer cake
What you need:
2 cups flour
1-1/4 cups sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups coconut milk (boxed)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brewed coffee, cooled
1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Raspberry Frosting (see recipe)
Chocolate Ganache (see recipe)
1 cup fresh raspberries
For the Chocolate Ganache:
1/2 cup coconut creamer
1 cup dark chocolate, chopped
For the Raspberry Frosting:
1 cup vegan shortening, plus 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup vegan margarine, plus 2 tablespoons
1/3 cup raspberry purée
4-1/4 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment or lightly oil and dust with flour. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, oil, coffee, melted chocolate, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until just incorporated. Fold in vinegar, stirring just until streaks are visible. Do not overmix.
- Into the two cake pans, distribute batter evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake surface springs to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Run a knife around edges of pan to loosen cake from sides. Invert pans on a wire rack and remove cakes.
- To make Raspberry Frosting, in bowl of a mixer, whip shortening and margarine with paddle attachment until thoroughly combined. Add raspberry purée and mix until incorporated, scraping bottom of bowl to ensure that ingredients are mixed completely. On low speed, add powdered sugar gradually. Add lemon juice and mix on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined and frosting is fluffy, about 2 minutes. Frost cakes with Raspberry Frosting and stack into two layers.
- To make Chocolate Ganache, heat coconut creamer in top part of a double boiler over medium heat until steaming. Do not boil. In a heat-resistant bowl, place chocolate and pour hot creamer over. Let sit for 30 seconds. Whisk coconut creamer and chocolate until chocolate is melted and ingredients are completely combined. Ganache should be thick but pourable.
- With a spoon or measuring pitcher, pour ganache on top center of cake until it reaches sides. Pour along edge until ganache runs down sides of cake. Let ganache set before serving. Top with fresh raspberries.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!