These delectable burgers combine the flavors of everyone’s favorite warm-weather condiment: ranch dressing. The burgers also freeze well, so you can make them in advance and bring them to your next summertime get-together.
Makes 6 to 8 burgers
What you need:
1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP) granules
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 white onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2 tablespoons panko-style breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 cup diced scallions
What you do:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix together TVP granules and broth, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a flat-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine TVP, sautéed mushroom mixture, vital wheat gluten, breadcrumbs, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, dill weed, salt, chipotle powder, cumin, pepper, nutritional yeast, tamari, and tomato paste. Process until well combined. If mixture is crumbly, add a tablespoon vegetable broth or water until mixture has a thicker consistency.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and mix in scallions. Form into 6 to 8 patties.
- On an oiled grill over medium-low heat, cook patties for about 10 minutes per side.
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of