Makes 9 cupcakes
What you need:
For the cupcakes:
1-1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup evaporated cane juice
1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons applesauce
3/4 cup non-dairy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
For the frosting:
1/2 cup French Vanilla flavor non-dairy creamer
1 cup chocolate chips
What you do:
- For the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a muffin pan or line with muffin papers. In a medium bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, evaporated cane juice, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, remaining 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, non-dairy milk, vanilla, and oil. Add vinegar and stir to thoroughly combine. Add dry ingredients to wet, then mix chocolate chips into batter.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- For the frosting, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat creamer until hot, but not boiling. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Refrigerate before using.
- To assemble, fluff cold frosting with a spoon and then frost cupcakes.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!