Just add buns, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and all your favorite vegan condiments, and you’re ready for a fast, filling, and utterly fantastic meal.
Serves 4 to 6
What you need:
- 1 8-ounce package multigrain tempeh, 1/2-inch cubed
- 3⁄4 cup onion, 1/8-inch diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus additional for cooking
- 1⁄2 cup crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme, and rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whole-wheat or spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons tamari
What you do:
- Place tempeh in a steamer basket and cook for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a skillet, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté an additional 3 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and seasonings, and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Using your fingers, crumble the steamed tempeh into a bowl. Add the sautéed mixture, flour, tamari, and remaining olive oil, and stir well to combine. Portion mixture into burgers.
- Lightly oil a large skillet with a little olive oil, and place over medium heat. Cook the burgers until well browned, about 5 to 7 minutes per side, adding additional oil, if needed, to prevent sticking.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!