This hearty, stick-to-your-ribs treat pairs perfectly with a heap of slaw and slices of fresh watermelon.
What you need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons spicy Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound seitan, sliced into thin cutlets
What you do:
- In a large bowl, mix flour, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and garlic. In a medium bowl, mix together water and mustard. Add 1/2 of dry ingredient mixture to wet ingredients, then add baking powder and breadcrumbs to remaining dry mixture.
- In a large frying pan over high heat, heat oil. Coat seitan with mustard mixture, then dredge in flour mixture, covering thoroughly. Add seitan to pan, and fry until browned on both sides, about two minutes per side. Serve hot.
Photo: The Vegan Foodie.
Love vegan food as much as we do? Then you’re going to LOVE the VegNews Ultimate Vegan Meal Planner with THOUSANDS of editor-approved, easy-to-make recipes. On sale now for 40% off!Click here