This colorful and full-flavored salad has become a signature dish at my Thanksgiving table. It’s a simple recipe to prepare, yet will wow guests again and again with its delicious pairing of sweet cranberries, crisp apples, and caramelized pecans.
For the caramelized pecans:
- 2 cups halved pecans
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
For the salad:
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 Fuji apples, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle on pecans. Pour maple syrup over pecans, add salt, and toss gently. Bake for 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until maple syrup begins to dry. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup. Whisk together until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, add salad greens, apples, and cranberries. Pour dressing (as much as desired) and salt over salad and toss gently. Sprinkle with caramelized pecans, and serve immediately.
VegNews’ co-founder Colleen Holland makes this salad every Thanksgiving, and her family talks about it all year long. Follow Colleen on Facebook for more of her favorite vegan food and recipes.
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!