With warm-weather favorites like flavorful tomatoes and zucchini coming into season, now’s the perfect time to whip up a savory, satisfying breakfast. Serve this hearty treat with a fruit salad and scones for a brunch that will sate you all Sunday long. Bellini’s aren’t required, but why wouldn’t you want one?
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small Vidalia or other sweet yellow onion, minced
- 1 small zucchini, shredded and well drained
- 1 firm ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound firm tofu, well drained
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add tomato and basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook uncovered until liquid evaporates. Transfer vegetable mixture to a lightly oiled, shallow, round baking dish and set aside.
- In a food processor combine the tofu, arrowroot mixture, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth and add to the vegetables in the baking dish and stir to combine. Bake until tofu is set and the top is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. To serve, cut into wedges.
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!