Eggplants fried golden brown in sesame oil are served in piping-hot konbu stock flavored with red miso. These flavors are just hearty enough for the first fall evenings, but are still light enough to enjoy with a side salad or your favorite sushi roll.
What you need:
- 3 small eggplants, 4 ounces each, sliced into 1⁄2-inch disks
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3-1⁄3 cups kombu stock
- 2 tablespoons red miso
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted and crushed
What you do:
- Soak the eggplant in water for a few minutes to remove any bitterness. Drain, and dry thoroughly.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add sesame oil, then add eggplant. Cook both sides for 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat konbu stock, then stir in the red miso until dissolved.
- Divide eggplant slices between individual soup bowls, cover with stock, and garnish with sesame seeds.