Makes 8 burgers
What you need:
For the burger:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups firm tofu
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast
1⁄2 cup panko-style breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1⁄2 cup canola oil, for frying
8 burger buns
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons pickles, sliced
8 lettuce leaves
For the Barbecue Aioli:
1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise
What you do:
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic until onions are translucent, for about 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- In a food processor, place chickpeas and pulse a few times. Leave some chickpeas whole for texture. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the same food processor bowl, process tofu until crumbled. Add cooked rice and process until well mixed. Combine with chickpeas.
- Add onion mixture, oregano, nutritional yeast, breadcrumbs, soy sauce, liquid smoke, salt, and cayenne pepper to the bowl and mix well.
- Using a 1⁄2 cup measuring cup, add mixture and form patties.
- If frying patties, in a frying pan over medium-high heat, heat canola oil. Fry burgers until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side. Alternatively, brush each side with oil and grill until charred, 3 to 5 minutes per side on a grill.
- To make the Aioli in a small bowl, combine barbecue sauce and mayonnaise and whisk well until mixed.
- To assemble burgers, spread some Barbecue Aioli on bun, and top with patty, tomato, red onion slices, pickles, and lettuce. Serve warm.
Photo credit: Daniel Biron
Subscribe now to the world’s #1