Don’t let the title fool you—no-bake does not mean raw. That said, when you’re craving a double-chocolate-anything on a hot day, this recipe from Robin Robertson’s Veganize It! will hit the spot without firing up the oven (or turning your home into a sauna).
What you need:
1¾ cups vegan chocolate cookie crumbs
¼ cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
7 ounces vegan semisweet chocolate chips
1½ cups raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, then drained
1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
¼ cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
What you do:
1. Lightly oil an 8-inch springform pan or spray with cooking spray.
2. Into a food processor, combine the cookie crumbs and melted butter and pulse to combine. The mixture should hold together when pressed between two fingers. If it’s too dry, add another tablespoon of melted butter; if it’s too wet, add another tablespoon of crumbs.
3. Transfer the crumb mixture to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Press the mixture into the springform pan using your fingers to make a firm, even crust. Refrigerate or freeze while you make the filling.
4. Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave or over a saucepan of simmering water. Keep warm.
5. In a high-speed blender, combine the drained cashews, coconut milk, maple syrup, and coconut oil, and process until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and process until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
6. Scrape the filling into the prepared crust. Tap on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles, then refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours or overnight. Once set, run a butter knife along the edge and gently remove the sides of the pan. Top with your choice of berries, whipped cream, or chocolate curls. Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Photo courtesy of William and Susan Brinson
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!