Spring and summer are the perfect times to host gatherings outside, and what get-together would be complete without those classic, soft-batch sugar cookies? Well, we couldn’t let the seasons change this year without bringing you the vegan version of that thick, soft and cakey treat that brings a smile to anyone’s face. You have been warned, these cookies are lighter than the traditional, more dense sugar cookie, and are truly addictive. We dare you to eat just one!
What you need:
For the cookies:
2 tablespoons flax meal
¼ cup water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
1 cup organic granulated cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup vegan sour cream
For the frosting:
¾ cup vegan butter
¾ cup vegan cream cheese
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
3¾ cups organic confectioners sugar
What you do:
1. For the cookies, whisk flax meal and water in a small bowl and set aside for at least 5 minutes. Into a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. Into a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add vanilla, flax mixture, and sour cream. Mix until well combined.
2. Slowly add dry ingredients with the wet, a half cup at a time, until well combined. Form dough into a rectangle approximately 1-1/2 inches thick. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove chilled dough from plastic wrap and turn onto a floured surface. Roll dough out with rolling pin until 1/3-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter and cut dough into circles or desired shape.
4. Place cut-out dough onto baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden in color on the bottom. Keep a close eye as they bake to avoid burning, and cool completely before frosting.
5. For the buttercream frosting, by hand or with a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla, lemon, salt, and confectioners sugar, half cup at a time, until smooth and desired stiffness is reached. Frost cooled cookies, and top with vegan sprinkles.
Photo courtesy of Dustin Harder
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!