What you need:
For the berry topping:
3 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon sugar
For the waffles:
3 teaspoon ground flaxseed
6 tablespoons water
1½ cups instant oats
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups almond milk
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the cinnamon syrup:
1½ cups pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
What you do:
- Pre-heat waffle iron. For the berry topping, into a bowl, stir together berries and sugar and set aside.
- For the waffles, in a small bowl, whisk ground flaxseed and water and set aside to thicken. Into a small bowl, combine almond milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, canola oil, and vanilla extract. In a medium bowl, combine instant oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add almond milk mixture and stir well to combine, then add flaxseed and stir to combine.
- Spray hot waffle iron with oil, add batter until 2/3 full, and immediately close lid. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Once cooked, carefully remove from iron with a fork. Continue with remaining batter.
- For the cinnamon syrup, into a saucepan over medium heat, add ingredients and stir until cinnamon is incorporated and syrup is warm.
- To serve, place hot waffles on a plate, top with berry topping and cinnamon syrup, and serve immediately.
Photo credit: Audrey Dunham
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!