Creamy herbed cashew cheese stuffed inside vegetable-infused pasta rounds from the So Vegan in 5 cookbook are a perfect and simple way to impress your dinner guests with a show-stopping plant-based meal.
What you need:
1 cup raw cashews
1⅔ cups fresh spinach
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
½ teaspoon salt, divided
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup fresh basil, plus extra for serving
3 tablespoons cold water
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
What you do:
- In a small bowl, place cashews, cover with hot water, and soak for 20 minutes.
- In a small pot of boiling water, blanch spinach for two minutes until soft, then strain spinach, reserving leftover water. Into a blender, add spinach and 3 tablespoons of reserved spinach water, and blend until smooth.
- To a large mixing bowl, add flour and ¼ teaspoon salt. Make a well in the middle, pour in spinach, and mix together until well incorporated. Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, then wrap tightly in parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide chilled pasta dough in half and roll each piece out until it’s as thin as possible without tearing. Use rim of a glass to cut dough into circles. Repeat until all dough is used up to make 20 circles.
- Drain cashews and add to a blender with juice, ¾ cup basil, cold water, salt, and pepper. Blend until mixture is smooth but thick.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of cashew mixture to center of a pasta circle and cover with another circle. Use thumb to press down around edges, sealing circles together. To finish, use prongs of a fork to pinch all around edges. Repeat until all 10 raviolis are filled.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, add ravioli, and boil for 5 minutes, until tender. Use a slotted spoon to carefully scoop ravioli out.
- Slice remaining basil leaves into strips and add to a small bowl with 2 tablespoons oil. Drizzle oil mixture over ravioli and serve.
Photo credit: So Vegan
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!