From now until May 31, discovery app Off the Menu is hosting a Burger Showdown competition and limited-time delivery event, with plenty of vegan options. The digital experience—which is raising money for frontline workers during the COVID-19 pandemic—features 58 burgers created through a collaboration between celebrities and restaurant chefs that can be ordered for delivery through Uber Eats in 10 cities. Each creation is documented in a video conversation between chefs and celebrities that prompts viewers to order the burger if they’re within the delivery area and ends with a recipe for the burger for those who are not. Viewers can also make a donation at the end of each episode through charity partner Frontline Foods. The vegan options are made with Lightlife burger patties and include:
- The Mama Monet (pictured): made by Oregon-based chain Next Level Burger co-owner Matt de Grutyer with vegan actress Daniella Monet featuring all organic ingredients including whole grain bun, onions, green chilis, vegan gouda cheese, tempeh bacon, avocado, diced tomato, and garlic aioli (available in San Francisco, CA and Austin, TX)
- The McPhee: made by Planta co-founder David Lee with singer Katharine McPhee featuring vegan queso, fried tortilla chips, red onion, dill pickles, tomato, and mayonnaise (available in Toronto, ON and Miami, FL)
- The Dream Burger: made by vegan delivery-only restaurant OMV! Burger chef Robbie Earl, chef and restaurateur Eric Greenspan, and actor Josh Hutcherson featuring pickled carrots, shredded cabbage, and cucumbers, vegan American cheese, miso mayonnaise, peanut butter, and Korean barbecue sauce (available in New York City, NY and Los Angeles, CA)
- The Maestro: a triple-decker burger made by Southern California vegan chain Plant Power Fast Food co-founder Zach Vouga with Aladdin actor Mena Massoud featuring a toasted sesame seed bun, three slices of Violife smoked provolone cheese, vegan ranch mixed with barbecue sauce (called “ranch-a-que” sauce), guacamole, iceberg lettuce, and onion rings (available in Los Angeles, CA)
- The Spicy Cook: a lettuce-wrapped burger made by Nic’s On Beverly chef Steven Fretz and actress Kaley Cuoco featuring a baked wonton wrapper, pickled carrots and cucumbers, jalapeño aioli, hoisin sauce, and cilantro (available in Los Angeles, CA)
- The Good Sexy: made by vegan chain By CHLOE chef Olly Smith and actress Amy Smart featuring beet ketchup, vegan cheddar cheese, shiitake bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and vegan special sauce (available in Boston, MA, Los Angeles, CA, and New York City, NY)
- The Ol’ Spicy: made by vegan eatery VOWburger owner Kevin Arca and actor Isaiah Mustafa featuring a sponge dough bun lathered in vegan butter, JUST Egg, serrano peppers, vegan cheese, and spicy Peruvian green sauce (available in Los Angeles, CA)
The Burger Showdown is also a real competition between all of the creations and fans can vote for their favorite burgers in three categories: Most Creative Collaboration, Best Plant-Based Burger, and Best Overall. Voters will be automatically entered to win a variety of prizes, including a $500 UberEats gift card, a jersey signed by a participating athlete, and restaurant gift cards.
Love the plant-based lifestyle as much as we do?
Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!