This week, Yelp released its list of the highest-rated Black-owned vegan (and vegan-friendly) restaurants on its review platform. The 18 named restaurants stretch from coast-to-coast and span a variety of cuisines from soul food to Jamaican-inspired fare to Ethiopian. When compared to last year, the searches for Black-owned businesses across all categories have increased significantly, a Yelp spokesperson told VegNews. The full list of Yelp’s top Black-owned vegan businesses is:
- Blueberry Cafe Juice Bar & Vegan Grille (Newark, NJ)
- Fire & Spice Vegan Restaurant (Hartford, CT)
- The Vegan Doughnut Company (Lakewood, OH)
- Vegan Fresh (Loma Linda, CA)
- Simply Pure by Chef Stacey Dougan (Las Vegas, NV)
- NuVegan Café (Locations in Washington, DC, Richmond, VA, and College Park, MD)
- Refocused Vegan (Baltimore, MD)
- Detroit Vegan Soul (Detroit, MI)
- Veg on the Edge (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Vegan Mob (Oakland, CA)
- Urban Fresh (Tucson, AZ)
- Sweet Soulfood (New Orleans, LA)
- All The Way Live (Philadelphia, PA)
- Dajen Eats (Eatonville, FL)
- The Land of Kush (Baltimore, MD)
- Sol Sips (Brooklyn, NY)
Yelp also named Ethiopian Cottage Restaurant (Milwaukee, WI) and Brooklyn Blend (Brooklyn, NY) in its list of top Black-owned vegan businesses and while both eateries serve a variety of plant-based options, they are not fully vegan.
In the last two years, reviews that mention the term “plant-based” increased by 140 percent and the Impossible Burger was the biggest trend on the platform in 2019. In June, Yelp partnered with Impossible Foods to curate a list of its top 30 diners which subsequently launched the plant-based startup’s new Impossible Sausage—previously only available at select Burger King and Starbucks locations—on their menus.
Photo Credit: Vegan Mob/DaJen Eats
Love the plant-based lifestyle as much as we do? Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!