Rich coconut cream and full-fat coconut yogurt replace the heavy cream typically used in this classic dessert from the Baked With Love cookbook. A buttery golden oat crust swaps in for the lightly fried cannoli pastry.
What you need:
For the crust:
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup coconut oil, softened
¼ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 to 6 tablespoons chilled water
1 teaspoon coconut oil, for greasing
For the filling:
8 ounces full-fat plain coconut milk yogurt
4 ounces vegan butter, softened
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup unsweetened coconut cream
¼ cup arrowroot powder
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
For the toppings:
½ cup mini dark chocolate chips
¼ cup powdered sugar
What you do:
- For the crust, in a food processor, pulse oats into a fine powder. Add baking soda and pulse once or twice to combine. Add coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and blend until dough becomes thick and sticky.
- Add 4 tablespoons of chilled water to dough and blend again. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky to touch. If needed, add remaining 2 tablespoons of chilled water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and blend again until dough has right consistency.
- Grease a 9-inch ceramic tart pan with coconut oil. Press dough for oat crust into bottom and up sides of prepared tart pan, being sure to press dough firmly into fluted shapes around sides of pan. Place crust in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove crust from refrigerator and poke bottom of crust 5 or 6 times with a fork. Blind bake crust for 10 minutes, until cooked and just beginning to turn golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before filling. Keep oven at 375 degrees.
- For the filling, in a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat coconut yogurt, butter, maple syrup, coconut cream, arrowroot powder, and vanilla until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour filling into crust. Cover crust edges with either a pie-crust saver or aluminum foil, but leave filling uncovered. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until filling begins to set along outside but is a little wobbly at center.
- Remove tart from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Then place in refrigerator for about 4 hours, or overnight. Remove tart from refrigerator, top with chocolate chips and powdered sugar, and serve.