Grab a fork and dig into these baked, cheesy, meaty rolls from the Make It Vegan cookbook for the ultimate comfort food meal. Swap the hot dogs for your favorite vegan brats or sausages for a flavor twist.
What you need:
For the chili:
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup chopped white onions
½ cup chopped green bell peppers
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces vegan ground meat
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ cup light beer
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon base
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup finely diced red onions, for garnish
For the mini cheese dogs:
1 (12-count) package vegan-friendly dinner rolls
2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1½ cups vegan cheddar shreds
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 vegan hot dogs
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the chili, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm oil. Once hot, add onions, bell peppers, and garlic and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes, until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add vegan ground meat and crumble with a spoon. Continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until meat begins to brown. Season with chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika, stirring to combine.
- Stir in beer, tomato sauce, and bouillon. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir in salt. Remove pot from heat, cover, and set aside.
- For the mini hot dogs, in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, place rolls, leaving attached. Using a sharp paring knife, cut a small square in middle of each roll, leaving about a ½-inch border around edges. Do not cut all the way through. Gently press down on cut-out square to form an opening in middle of each roll.
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, parsley, and garlic powder, then brush rolls with butter mixture. Sprinkle hollowed-out rolls with cheddar shreds and bake for 6 to 7 minutes.
- ln a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm oil. Once hot, pan-fry hot dogs for 6 to 7 minutes, turning to cook evenly on all sides. Remove hot dogs from heat and cut each dog into 3 even pieces.
- Remove rolls from oven. Spoon chili into each hollowed-out roll and place a piece of hot dog into each one. Top each roll with a bit more chili and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until chili is bubbly and starts to brown. Garnish with parsley and red onions and serve immediately.
Photo credit: Ashley Hankins