Caramelized hazelnuts add a golden sweet crunch to these gooey brownies from the BOSH! On a Budget cookbook.
What you need:
For the candied hazelnuts:
¾ cup blanched hazelnuts
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon flaky salt
For the brownies:
½ cup water
1 cup sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup dark chocolate chips
2 medium peeled potatoes, steamed and chopped
¾ cup sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
¾ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup Biscoff spread
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with oil.
- For the candied hazelnuts, onto a baking sheet, spread nuts. Place in oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until nuts are lightly toasted.
- Into a greased skillet over medium-high heat, add sugar and water. Once simmering, reduce heat to medium and add toasted nuts. Mix well with a rubber spatula and let simmer, tilting pan now and then, until water evaporates and there is a light golden syrup, about 5 minutes. Quickly scrape nuts onto greased baking tray. Sprinkle with salt and let cool.
- For the brownies, into a small saucepan, add water, sugar, cocoa powder, and chocolate. Mix well. Set pan over low heat, folding mixture with a rubber spatula. Once melted, stir until smooth and remove from heat. Scrape into a bowl and set aside to cool until just warm.
- Into a food processor, add potatoes and blend until just smooth. Add oil in a slow and steady stream until combined. Add vinegar and salt, and pulse to mix. Add to bowl with chocolate mixture and fold until just mixed.
- Into a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Using a sieve, sift flour mixture over chocolate mixture and fold together, being careful to not overmix. Pour into greased skillet and spread Biscoff evenly on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 17 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with candied hazelnuts and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Photo credit: BOSH!