No need to track down your local Girl Scout for a cookie fix, and with this recipe from HealthyGirl Kitchen, vegans can finally get a taste of the coconutty-caramelly Samoas that have long evaded us.
What you need:
What you do:
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a pan over medium heat, toast coconut until golden brown. Stir constantly to prevent burning, about 5 minutes.
- Into a food processor, add coconut and oats. Pulse for 30 seconds. Add dates, vanilla, and salt. Blend until completely combined, and it resembles a crumbly texture that sticks together when rolled into cookies.
- Take 2 tablespoons of dough. Form into a ball then shape into a flat round cookie. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Use a straw to make a hole in center of each cookie. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Place chocolate chips in a glass measuring cup. Melt by microwaving in 45 second increments until melted, stirring between each increment.
- Remove cookies from freezer and dip bottom of each cookie in melted chocolate and place back on baking sheet. Drizzle chocolate on top using a spoon. Freeze for 15 minutes more to set chocolate.
Photo credit: Danielle Keith