Loaded Vegan Breakfast Nachos With Cashew Cheese Sauce and Tofu Scramble
Breakfast nachos are ideal at-home brunch fare—saucy, flavorful, easy to prepare, and perfect for sharing.
August 13, 2022
If you know this particular brunch from the Plant and Planet cookbook is going to be following a long night, get prepped the day before. The salsa will only improve while flavors meld and mingle in the refrigerator, and the tofu can be made ahead and easily reheated. Soak the cashew mixture in the fridge overnight and then blend it up while the chips bake. Done!
What you need:
For the cheese sauce:
¾ cup raw cashews
½ cup boiling water
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
For the salsa:
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
½ medium red onion, finely chopped
4 sprigs fresh cilantro, both stems and leaves, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
½ teaspoon salt
For the tofu scramble:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
For the nachos:
1 (12-ounce) bag tortilla chips
1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, sliced
What you do:
- For the cheese, into a blender, add all ingredients. Let sit and soak in blender for 30 minutes.
- For the salsa, in a medium bowl, toss all ingredients. Set aside to marinate.
- Set a rack in the center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- For the tofu scramble, in a medium skillet over medium heat, warm oil until shimmering. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallot is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Crumble tofu in large clumps into skillet. Add salt, cumin, turmeric, and 3 tablespoons water. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until tofu is warmed through and resembles scrambled eggs, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble nachos, on a sheet pan, arrange chips and spoon black beans on top. Bake until chips are slightly toasted, and beans are slightly dried and cracked, about 10 minutes.
- While chips are baking, blend cashew cheese mixture on high until a smooth sauce forms, about 1 minute, scraping down sides as needed.
- Remove chips from oven and spoon tofu and salsa (leaving as much liquid in bowl as possible) on top. Gently toss avocado slices in reserved salsa liquid, then arrange on top of salsa. Drizzle cheese sauce over everything and serve immediately.
Photo credit: David Malosh