Serves 6 to 8
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups soy sausage, crumbled
- 1 pound tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups soy milk or other dairy-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 to 10 slices bread
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the soy sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the tofu, soy milk, thyme, fennel seed, and salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Blend in the sausage mixture and set aside. Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces and place it in a lightly oiled shallow 9x13 baking dish. Pour the sausage mixture evenly over the bread and set aside until the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Bake the casserole until puffy and lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm.