This satisfying sandwich from the Vegan Fast Food cookbook features crispy vegan chicken strips, coated in a zesty buffalo sauce that provides a perfect blend of tangy and spicy flavors and offers a cruelty-free fast-food alternative.
What you need:
For the chicken:
1 (15-ounce) package vegan chicken strips
Neutral oil for frying
For the dry batter:
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon mushroom seasoning
½ teaspoon ground sage
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon chipotle powder
For the wet batter:
1 cup unsweetened vegan milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon hot sauce
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
3 large burger buns
6 slices vegan cheese
3 tablespoons Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wings Hot Sauce
What you do:
1. For the chicken, to a parchment-lined baking sheet, add strips and place in freezer for 1 hour to firm up.
2. For the dry batter, in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
3. For the wet batter, in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
4. In a large pot, heat neutral oil to 375 degrees. Once hot, dredge chicken strips in dry batter, then wet batter, and then back into dry batter. Shake off excess flour and batter. Place 2-3 pieces at a time carefully in hot oil and let fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a cooling rack and repeat with remaining pieces.
5. For assembly, add buns to a large, lightly oiled pan over medium heat. Toast until golden brown. Once toasted, flip and lower heat. Add a slice of
vegan cheese to each bun and cover to melt.
6. Once melted, add three chicken strips to one bun. Top with plenty of vegan ranch and buffalo sauce, then add top bun. Serve immediately.