This over-the-top brunch creation from the popular breakfast chain is veganized in this decadent recipe from the Vegan Fast Food cookbook. The cheesecake layer melts and creates gooey pockets of tangy sweetness in these fluffy pancakes that become even more indulgent with a strawberry compote topping.
What you need:
For the strawberry topping:
1 (1-pound) bag fresh or frozen strawberries, roughly chopped
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
For the pancakes:
1¼ cups plain, unsweetened vegan milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vegetable or refined coconut oil
Nonstick cooking spray, for cooking
1 cup diced vegan cheesecake, store-bought or homemade
Vegan whipped cream, for topping
What you do:
- For the strawberry topping, to a medium saucepan over medium heat, add strawberries and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until berries have released about ½ cup of juice.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water, then add to strawberry mixture with powdered sugar. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and reserve.
- For the pancakes, in a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar and let rest to thicken for 10 to 30 minutes. To a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt and combine thoroughly. Then, add vanilla and oil to milk and vinegar mixture and whisk to incorporate. Dump wet mixture into flour mixture. Fold until just combined and no dry flour spots are visible.
- On a nonstick skillet over medium heat, spray with cooking spray. Pour in ½ cup of pancake batter. Drop a few pieces of diced frozen cheesecake onto pancake and gently press in to submerge. Add more batter to cover as needed, as cheesecake will burn if it comes into direct contact with pan. After 3 minutes, check pancake and flip once golden brown. Let cook another 2 minutes and then set aside. Repeat with remaining batter.
- On a serving plate, stack pancakes, top with strawberry topping and whipped cream, and serve.