Fruit-Filled Vegan Earl Grey Tea Loaf
A slice of rich, fruity tea loaf with a generous spread of dairy-free butter … is there anything better?
March 21, 2023
The chewy dried fruit mix in this recipe from the Great British Vegan cookbook adds a touch of natural sweetness, while steeped tea bags add delicate flavor notes. Lather a slice with some almond butter and pair with a mug of tea for a comforting treat.
What you need:
1¼ cups hot water
2 Earl Grey tea bags
1¾ cups dried fruit such as raisins, dried apricots, dried apples, and dates
2 cups flour
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened vegan yogurt
2 tablespoons marmalade
What you do:
- Into a large bowl, add hot water and tea bags. Add dried fruit and leave overnight to soak.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and apple pie spice. Stir in yogurt and fruity tea mixture (including soaking water), and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into middle of loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack, brushing with marmalade and allowing to cool completely.