Vegan Grilled Mushroom and Tofu Sisig Tacos
Fruity papaya-carrot-ginger slaw complements the tangy, savory fried tofu and mushrooms in these Filipinx-inspired tacos.
July 3, 2021
Known for its combination of tangy and fatty flavors, sisig is a common sizzling meat dish in the Philippines. Chef Reina Montenegro, of the San Francisco Bay Area’s all-vegan Filipinx eatery Chef Reina, swaps in deep-fried tofu and sautéed mushrooms as the meaty subs in these tantalizing tacos.
What you need:
For the sisig:
4 ounces of firm tofu, pressed drained, and sliced into ½-inch thick slices
Neutral oil, for frying
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
½ cup shiitake mushrooms
1 clove garlic, diced
½ cup diced onion
½ teaspoon grated ginger
½ cup diced green bell pepper
For the marinade:
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Juice of ½ lemon
¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the papaya and carrot salad:
2 cups grated fresh green papaya
1 tablespoon salt
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
1 inch piece fresh ginger root, grated
½ cup white vinegar
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
8 corn tortillas, for serving
1 lemon, quartered for serving
What you do:
- Into a deep saucepan over medium heat, add 2 inches of neutral oil and warm. Gently add tofu in batches and deep fry until crispy. Once slightly cooled, dice into ¼-inch pieces.
- In a grill pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add mushrooms and grill until charred, about 6 minutes. Once slightly cooled, chop into small pieces. Add tofu, mushrooms, garlic, onion, ginger, and bell pepper into a large bowl.
- For the marinade, into a small bowl add all ingredients and mix well. Pour over tofu mixture and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat, warm remaining olive oil and add tofu mixture. Cook until vegetables are soft and tofu and mushrooms are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- For the papaya and carrot salad, into a large bowl, add all ingredients, toss to coat, and place in refrigerator to marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat, warm tortillas on each side.
- To serve, into each tortilla, scoop ¼ cup of tofu mixture and top with salad. Squeeze fresh lemon on top and eat warm.
Photo credit: Chef Reina