This simple savory porridge from the Broke Vegan One Pot cookbook can be served for any meal of the day, with the toppings changed up for extra versatility. It takes a bit of time to cook, but once the rice is underway, it can be left to its own devices to cook away.
What you need:
2 tablespoons sesame oil
4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
1¼-inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
6½ cups vegetable broth, warmed
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Light soy sauce
3 spring onions, finely sliced
What you do:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm oil, add garlic, and fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- To oil left in pan, add mushrooms and cook for about 6 minutes, or until brown and crisp around edges. Remove from pan and let drain alongside garlic.
- To same pan, add rice and ginger and stir until all grains are coated in garlicky mushroom oil. Pour over broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until thickened and rice is broken up and soft.
- Add salt and pepper and stir in half of mushrooms and half of crispy garlic. If porridge is too thick (it will thicken as it cools), add more stock to achieve desired consistency.
- Divide into 4 serving bowls and top with remaining mushrooms and crispy garlic, a few dashes of soy sauce, and spring onions.