Creamy Vegan Spinach Ravioli With Cashew Cheese Filling
Simple ingredients and easy preparation make these vibrant, stuffed raviolis a winning dinner.
March 24, 2023
Creamy herbed cashew cheese stuffed inside vegetable-infused pasta rounds from the So Vegan in 5 cookbook are a perfect and simple way to impress your dinner guests with a show-stopping plant-based meal.
What you need:
1 cup raw cashews
1⅔ cups fresh spinach
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
½ teaspoon salt, divided
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup fresh basil, plus extra for serving
3 tablespoons cold water
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
What you do:
- In a small bowl, place cashews, cover with hot water, and soak for 20 minutes.
- In a small pot of boiling water, blanch spinach for two minutes until soft, then strain spinach, reserving leftover water. Into a blender, add spinach and 3 tablespoons of reserved spinach water, and blend until smooth.
- To a large mixing bowl, add flour and ¼ teaspoon salt. Make a well in the middle, pour in spinach, and mix together until well incorporated. Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, then wrap tightly in parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide chilled pasta dough in half and roll each piece out until it’s as thin as possible without tearing. Use rim of a glass to cut dough into circles. Repeat until all dough is used up to make 20 circles.
- Drain cashews and add to a blender with juice, ¾ cup basil, cold water, salt, and pepper. Blend until mixture is smooth but thick.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of cashew mixture to center of a pasta circle and cover with another circle. Use thumb to press down around edges, sealing circles together. To finish, use prongs of a fork to pinch all around edges. Repeat until all 10 raviolis are filled.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, add ravioli, and boil for 5 minutes, until tender. Use a slotted spoon to carefully scoop ravioli out.
- Slice remaining basil leaves into strips and add to a small bowl with 2 tablespoons oil. Drizzle oil mixture over ravioli and serve.
Here at VegNews, we live and breathe the vegan lifestyle, and only recommend products we feel make our lives amazing. Occasionally, articles may include shopping links where we might earn a small commission. In no way does this effect the editorial integrity of VegNews.