Vegan Tropical Passionfruit and Mango Pavlova
A little time and patience is all that is required to make this cake-like whipped and baked meringue dessert.
March 7, 2023
The juicy, fresh flavors of pineapple, passionfruit, mango, lime, and coconut bring tropical zest to this pavlova from the Vegan With Bite cookbook. Usually noted as a technically difficult dessert, this recipe uses aquafaba to achieve a fool-proof pavlova.
What you need:
For the meringue:
Non-stick cooking spray
1 cup aquafaba, chilled for 1 hour
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
For the coconut whip:
1 (13½-ounce) can coconut cream, chilled
⅓ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon extract
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
For the topping:
2 mangoes, sliced thinly
Pulp from 4 large passionfruit
¼ pineapple, leaves and skin removed, cored, and thinly sliced
¼ cup mint leaves
Coconut flakes, for garnish
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spray a baking tray with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- For the meringue, into bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, pour chilled aquafaba. Add salt and beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to medium and gradually add in sugar. Once incorporated, add vanilla, xanthan gum, and cream of tartar, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Onto prepared tray, spoon meringue and, using a spatula, shape into a circle about 4 inches high. Bake for 2½ hours, then turn off heat and let meringue cool in oven with door ajar.
- For the coconut whip, into bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, scoop solid coconut cream, discarding coconut water. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and lime zest and whip until light and fluffy. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once meringue has cooled completely, carefully remove from tray and transfer to a serving platter. Cover top with coconut whip, then decorate with mango, passionfruit, pineapple, mint, and coconut. Eat immediately.
Here at VegNews, we live and breathe the vegan lifestyle, and only recommend products we feel make our lives amazing. Occasionally, articles may include shopping links where we might earn a small commission. In no way does this effect the editorial integrity of VegNews.