Opt for an elegant, comforting at-home meal and splurge on this must-try truffle creamed corn recipe from the Unbelievably Vegan cookbook. Pair with garlicky greens and barbecue tofu for a complete meal.
What you need:
For the béchamel sauce:
1 bay leaf
½ small yellow onion
2 whole cloves
¼ cup vegan butter
¼ cup flour
2½ cups unsweetened vegan milk
1 teaspoon fine pink Himalayan salt
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For the creamed corn:
1 cup béchamel sauce (see recipe)
4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed if frozen
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon truffle salt
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1 tablespoon truffle oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Freshly shaved truffle, for garnish
What you do:
- For the béchamel sauce, place bay leaf on flat side of onion half. Secure bay leaf in place by pressing in cloves. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk to form a paste. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to let it turn golden (turn heat down if needed).
- Continue whisking vigorously and slowly pour in milk. Whisk until smooth, then add prepared onion half. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Remove and discard onion.
- For the creamed corn, in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine béchamel sauce and corn and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, until corn is tender and heated through.
- Stir in nutritional yeast, cream cheese, sugar, and truffle salt. Mix well. Stir in butter. Transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle with truffle oil, and garnish with parsley and shaved truffle.