Serves 4 to 6
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 cups water
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 teaspoon harissa (see recipe), or to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, turmeric, ginger, cumin, salt, pepper and cardamom. Add the water, cover, and cook until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the harissa, if using, and cook a minute longer. Stir in the lemon juice. Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro and serve.
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!