Serves 4 to 6
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 cups water
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 teaspoon harissa (see recipe), or to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, turmeric, ginger, cumin, salt, pepper and cardamom. Add the water, cover, and cook until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the harissa, if using, and cook a minute longer. Stir in the lemon juice. Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro and serve.
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!